Search This Blog

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Kitchen Toys: The Bread Maker Edition

 IMG_0228

One of the best parts of owning a house is having more storage space for kitchen toys. Some chicks ask for jewellery for special occasions, I ask for small appliances. I have wanted a bread maker for a long time and it was originally on my Christmas list for last year, but when my husband couldn’t find any bread that he could eat at the supermarket (due to his food allergies), we ended up getting one ahead of time.

IMG_0244

I’ve made bread from scratch before, but I hate the mess that it creates when the flour inevitably flies all over the place. With the bread maker you basically dump the ingredients into the pan and 3 hours and 45 minutes later you end up with a lovely warm loaf of fresh bread.

IMG_0246

IMG_0247 

You will notice that this is white bread. While I have mastered the method for fluffy white bread, whole wheat loafs come out with roughly the same size and density of small projectiles missiles. I’m still trying to find the right proportions. I hate to sound like an infomercial, but this bread maker is life changing, especially since it has a dough cycle and you can use it for things like pizza dough or cinnamon bun dough. Not that I’ve made cinnamon buns with it….yet.

 

I did quite a bit of research before we bought it and I picked the model that we did because I knew that it would be getting heavy use and I wanted something that would last. We went  with a Zojirushi model since it had great ratings and makes bigger loafs that most other brands. I’m not sure if having a bread maker actually saves money, but what it produces tastes so much better than what you can buy in the store and it makes your house smell absolutely amazing.

2 comments:

  1. Oooooo I want one!! Too bad I've no room for it (that thing looks huge)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a bit big, but it lives in a corner of my kitchen counter. I drag it out just when I'm using it.

    ReplyDelete