Search This Blog

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Random Weekend Meals and Tax Time Hurts

IMG_0225

Yay! It’s finally the weekend! This week has been really long but sometimes they all feel long. I did a pretty lousy job of pre-planning my meals last week, so I had zero leftovers for Friday dinner. Happily, they had sushi on special at the super market, so I snatched some up for dinner which I ate along with an un-pictured salad.

IMG_0230

This morning we had errands to run so I left pizza dough rising in my trusty bread maker and when we came back all I had to do was prep the toppings and throw the pizza in the oven.

IMG_0232

I had decided to make a sausage and mixed mushroom pizza with red onions, so I picked up one of each type of mushroom that the supermarket had. Dear oyster mushrooms, why must you be so delicious but cost almost 5 bucks a package? *sniff*

IMG_0231

Fancy sausages. This was my first time buying this flavour and it’s definitively a repeat.

IMG_0234

Before. (I pre-cooked the toppings in a pan, hence why they look so dark)

IMG_0235

After. I think I must be one of the few people who does not actually like mozzarella that much, so I just use cheddar. I find that most mozzarella tastes like tasteless rubber except for the fresh kind and I prefer the expensive stuff in a nice Caprese salad rather than on a pizza.

IMG_0241

One more shot. Not that photogenic but wow was it good.

7D508B322B4CC00B86E51E423648

Ah, now for the painful part. Once a year we drag ourselves to the bank and chuck money into our RRSPs and extra money into the mortgage. We do this before tax season since you get an income tax deduction for the amount that you put in. For all of your non-Canadians, RRSPs are the government savings plan that you can contribute to, to help you save for retirement. On TV you always see smiling happy people making investments. In my experience waving bye bye to a chunk of your money and not seeing it again for another 35 years is not the most pleasant thing ever. What cracks me up is that they make an investor profile for you and one of the questions is, “How long do you need your retirement savings to last you once you have retired?”, basically how long do you think you will live. It’s rather morbid, but sort of funny. I told the girl to put in 100 for my age since I come from a family that lives long. The software would only let her put in until 90 years old. Apparently my bank has a slightly more somber outlook on my life expectancy than I do.

4 comments:

  1. ROFL - that part about the bank software killed me!!!! You should tell them the GGMa is over 100 and they better fix their software to account for elderly Salvadoran granny genes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TGW - I should write them an e-mail. How dare they think I am going to kick the bucket at 90. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's nuts! Tons of people live past 90...lol. Cynical software...=P That pizza looks delish. Especially after the lame bagel I just ate for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy,

    I wish I had a breadmaker. I'm still making dough by hand. Guess you could say it gives the arms a workout!

    The pizza looks delicious. Thankfully I already ate dinner.

    Have you thought about entering something into the show Recipe to Riches. The new Canadian food series is having an open casting in Montreal on Saturday at the Hyatt Regency.

    More details at: http://recipetoriches.ca

    Hope you do! Until then, fantastic pie!

    Micol

    ReplyDelete