Search This Blog

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Why one should always ask questions before ordering

IMG_0210 
When you’re young you can guzzle soda all day long, eat french fries for dinner, chase them down with cookies for dessert and feel perfectly fine afterwards. At the ripe old age of 29 I’m starting to realise that I can’t do that anymore and it bites. Never mind the calories, just the food hangover when you wake up the next morning feeling bloated and gross is enough to make me lay off fried food for a while.
This Friday I went out with my friend Roxy and her boyfriend for dinner at an El Salvadorean restaurant. We actually were supposed to go to eat Mexican but they are still closed from the holidays. They’re probably sunning themselves on a beach in Veracruz and drinking something fruity out of a hollowed out coconut. Anyways, I had been to the El Salvadorean restaurant before and ordered pupusas (stuffed tortillas), which are delicious but oh so unfortunately named. This time I saw that they had taquitos on the menu which I love but never make at home since I hate the mess of deep frying. They came with yucca and I ordered guacamole on the side.
IMG_0207

Growing up, my mom had only ever steamed yucca, so I assumed that the restaurant would serve it the same way and that the guacamole would be a small portion on the side. Alas, the yucca was fried and the guacamole came with hand-cut deep fried tortilla chips. So that makes three portions of fried food when I was counting on having one.

IMG_0204
On top of that I had order a small pitcher (two cups worth) of horchata. I ended up leaving a quarter of the food that I had ordered but walking home I knew I had overdone it. I had way too much sugar and fried food. While I loathe spartan restaurant menus that don’t describe the dishes properly I should have asked and not assumed that the yucca would be steamed and that the guacamole would come sans tortilla chips. So many extra calories that I eat, and I’m guessing that I’m not the only one, could be avoided if I just paid a little extra attention when ordering or cooking. Oh well, lesson learned for next time! I am definitely going to try to pay more attention in the future to what I order in restaurants.

2 comments:

  1. I've done that before by accident!

    I once paid $20 for a salad with calamari that I presumed to be grilled. Out came heaps of fried calamari with an itty bitty salad on the side.

    I was so sad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if you had to cheat you should have cheated in a big way - the body can only transform a certain amount of the food ingested in fat - that is why you cannot take like 10 pounds in one meal - the pb is that people cheat a little bit every meal...and this is what kills - so next time just go wild and eat the whole thing and order dessert afterwards :-)

    ReplyDelete